In our first post we discussed how a pour over coffee was different from espresso and drip coffee. Today, we want to share with you the best way to make a V60 at home!
Items you will need:
Hario V60 filters
Your favorite coffee
Your favorite coffee mug
Bring your water to a boil. For this recipe you will need about 375 grams of water, so bring a little bit more than that to about 204 degrees.
Once your water is hot, place the filter into your V60 and pour enough hot water over the filter to wet and rinse it. This an important step in order to wash the paper taste from the filter. It also serves to warm up your coffee mug! Make sure and dump the rinse water once completed.
Measure out 25 grams of coffee and grind to a coarse grind, similar to kosher salt.
- Place your coffee mug and V60 on your scale, add coffee, and then set scale to zero.
- One of the most important steps in making your cup of coffee, is to allow for the “bloom”. This step allows the coffee to release its excess gas. Wet just enough of the coffee to cover it with water and let it set for about thirty seconds. When you do this, you will notice the coffee expand and bubble as it releases the gases.
- Once this is complete slowly pour your water in a circular motion for the next three to three and a half minutes. Pausing briefly to allow the water to settle evenly.
- Pour the water till your scale read (x) grams of water.
- Once it’s finished, you are ready to drink your delicious cup of coffee!